Parent Coaching Model of Catechesis
CLICK HERE TO READ A MESSAGE TO ALL INVOLVED IN COACHING PARENTS PROGRAM (May 2019)
FAMILY CATECHESIS RESOURCES FROM CCCB
The CCCB's Office for Evangelization and Catechesis has produced a new resource on family catechesis featuring videos of Coaching Parents sessions with the Archdiocese of Moncton. Click here to watch the videos on Youtube, and click here to access the resource in its entirety.
Changes to Catechism in 2016
In March 2014, a committee representing the five pastoral units of the English Deanery and diocesan staff began meeting to determine the path for children’s catechism in our parishes. During this time opportunity was taken also to evaluate the process through which we share faith with our children. Five resources were studied, following which the committee unanimously decided to recommend Parent Coaching as the model and Fashioning Faith (Center for Ministry Development) as the resource. This recommendation was approved by Archbishop Valéry Vienneau; to ensure that all parishes in the English sector share a common practice, he has mandated use of this model and resource. Implementation will begin September 2016.
The Parent Coaching Model
“Parents have the first responsibility for the education of their children.”
~Catechism of the Catholic Church, #2223
A central principle of the Parent Coaching Model is that we cannot succeed in faith formation with children unless their parents are also deeply engaged with the process.
This model may be different from what many of you are accustomed to, and as a parent concerned with the faith formation of your child, we expect that you will have questions about how you will be affected by the changes.
What will be different with the Parent Coaching model?
- Catechism sessions will be 75-90 minutes in length and will take place every two weeks at a time and location determined by your parish catechism coordinator
- You will accompany your child(ren) to each session where you will journey alongside them as you both grow in faith. We understand families lead busy lives. If you are unable to do so, they may be accompanied by another adult such as a grandparent or another adult from the faith community
- Children will be separated into two groupings: one grouping for grade levels 1,2,3 and another grouping for grade levels 4,5,6. If you have more than one child registered in the same grouping, all of you can attend the session together
What should you expect from us?
- To provide formed catechists (coaches) who will guide you, step-by-step, through each session
- To use carefully reviewed resources rooted in the Roman Catholic tradition
- To provide a safe, non-threatening environment where you and your child feel comfortable to talk about issues of faith and how they relate to your lives
- To provide flexibility that recognizes the reality of today’s busy families
What should we expect from you?
- To accompany your child(ren) to each catechism session and to be open to sharing your faith with them!
Our Catechetical Resource:
Fashioning Faith (Center for Ministry Development )
Founded in 1978 and based out of Washington State, The Center for Ministry Development describes its mission as “promoting the development of ministry and catechesis with youth and families through leadership formation, service learning, and resources rooted in Catholic
tradition and Scripture.”
In addition to Youth Ministry Access resources for youth ministry, they also offer a Family Faith Formation program entitled Fashioning Faith, which is the resource that has been selected for use in our diocese. It is an online, subscription-based resource which translates into minimal cost to our parishes. Grounded in sound theology, it is also easily adapted to our Parent Coaching model.
In its extensive resource archive, Fashioning Faith offers a diverse selection of seasonal resources, faith themes and family ideas, all of which aim to open conversations about how we can connect our faith to our lives.
Please contact Ellen Bennett at the Diocesan Office of Faith Development for more information.
Email email@example.com or phone 857-9952.